Ready to visit a city within a city? Ready to experience photo genetic, bustling Soweto? Let’s go!
On this half day tour your guide, who was born and raised in Soweto, will take you past all the hotspots in Soweto. The tour will take you deep into the township culture, so you can enjoy a personal experience of how vibrant and lively this part of Johannesburg really is.
On our way to Soweto we pass by the National Football Stadium City, which hosted the opening and closing ceremonies of the World Cup 2010. We enter the Diepkloof area, where we will take a walk past vendors selling just about anything.
In Orlando West we visit Vilakazi Street- drive past the former home of Nelson Mandela and past the home of Archbishop Desmond Tutu. You will have an opportunity to read about the Soweto uprising on 16 June 1976. On that tragic day an innocent little boy called Hector Pieterson gave up his life and kick-started the liberation of South Africa.
During this tour we will pass by the Mandela House. A visit into the museum is optional.
We continue our tour driving into one of the shanty towns where you get to interact with some of the locals.
By now you will have seen the good, the bad and the ugly facets of Soweto. We drive past the Soweto Campus of the Johannesburg University and end our tour with a stop at the largest hospital in the world: Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital.
After lunch we visit the world famous Apartheid Museum. Here you will learn about the history and struggle of South Africa during a decade of apartheid.
- R800 per person sharing
- R950 per single traveler
Pick up Points:
We can collect you form any hotel in the Greater Johannesburg area and the below times are guidelines. Please do inform us if you do require a collection outside of these stated areas and times.
- 08:30 am – 09:00 am – OR Tambo Airport and Hotels in the area
- 09:00 am – 09:15 am – Hotels in the greater Sandton area
- 09:15 am – 09:30 am – Hotels in the greater Fourways area
- 7 hours
Soweto & Aparthied Museum Includes:
- Entrance fee into the Hector Pieterson Museum
- Visit an informal settlement
- Drive past Mandela House Museum
- Drive past Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital
- Walk through the Regina Mundi Church
- Drive past Diepkloof ext
- Drive past Baragwanath Taxi Rank
- Drive past Maponya Shopping Mall
- Visit Freedom Square and Freedom Charter Memorial
- Drive along Vilakazi Street
- Drive past and see the homes of Nobel peace prize winner Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu and Winnie Madikizela- Mandela, the ex-wife of Nelson Mandela
- Drive past the Soccer City Stadium
- Entrance into the Apartheid Museum